THE WISE Initiative
The World Innovation Summit for Education (WISE) was launched by Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development in 2009 upon the initiative of Chairperson Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser. This annual event is an international, multi-sectoral platform for creative thinking, debate and purposeful action. WISE also seeks to raise the status of education through a growing number of year-round programs. WISE aims to transform education by highlighting its leading role in global development, and by fostering innovative thinking and practices.
The WISE Summit
This annual three-day event in Doha, Qatar, brings together over 1,000 top decision-makers, thought-leaders, practitioners and education stakeholders from a wide variety of sectors and more than 100 countries to seek innovative solutions to today's educational challenges and to share best practices.
"WISE is based on the practical awareness that the challenges in education are no longer bound by countries' political boundaries and, therefore, its mandate is international. WISE recognizes that the challenges facing the world community have never been greater - that we need innovative solutions not achieved by traditional approaches alone. WISE asserts that the desire to innovate is, in fact, an innate human need to shape and improve our environment." Her Highness Sheikha Moza bint Nasser, Chairperson of Qatar Foundation.
WISE, a year-round platform for building the future of education, has established a number of ongoing programs:
- recognizes an individual or a team for an outstanding, world-class contribution to education.
- identify and spotlight each year six of the most innovative projects in education from around the world.
- . The first WISE publication - Innovation in Education: Lessons from Pioneers around the World – was launched at the 2011 WISE Summit in Doha, Qatar, November 1-3, 2011. It raises awareness of successful high-impact projects throughout the world and encourages their replication and expansion. A second publication is scheduled to appear in late 2012.
- encourages students (aged 18 - 25) to make their voices heard. They play an active role in the WISE Summit as full delegates, participating in sessions, conducting video interviews, blogging and tweeting. They are also involved in WISE on a year-round basis.
- is a social networking feature of the WISE web platform that enables the WISE community to connect and share knowledge and best practices on a continuing basis.
- is a weekly TV magazine program on education developed in partnership with Euronews. It broadcasts 16 times a week to 155 countries in 11 languages.
- brings together innovators and successful projects that can contribute to rebuilding Haiti's education system, devastated in the earthquake of January 2010.