About the Project
This project is one of the 2009 WISE Awards winners.
Nanhi Kali provides 360-degree support to girls from Grade 1 to 10. This includes:
– 1.5 – 2 hours daily free remedial classes where concepts of Maths and Language are taught to girls after school hours.
– A school supplies kit consisting of uniforms,2 sets personal clothing, a pair of shoes, socks, notebooks, stationery, a school bag, a pullover/raincoat & feminine hygiene material.
– Provision of Digital Tablets with pre-loaded educational content (both audio and video) for girls studying in secondary school. The audiovisual content enables better comprehension and recall. Each concept taught is followed by an assessment, and only after the concept is mastered the next concept gets unlocked.
– Nanhi Kali team works extensively with parents and communities to sensitize them to become collective guardians of the girls thereby sowing seeds of social change in some of the most challenging areas in the country.
– Project Nanhi Kali’s 20+ years of experience working with underprivileged girls has provided significant insights on how adolescent girls require attention beyond the educational support that Project Nanhi Kali gave them till they completed Grade 10, at the approximate age of 15 years. It is at this age that girls are most vulnerable, and especially in India’s urban areas, young girls are often forced to drop out of school to earn an extra income for their families. During their adolescence, they struggle to protect their dignity and live in constant fear of sexual abuse and violence or worse, in some areas even get trafficked across the borders. This led to the setting up of N Star Centres which provide safe spaces for girls within their communities where they are mentored and counseled. These centers provide girls an opportunity to imbibe 21st Century skills such as speaking English, using computers and accessing the internet, as well as being financially literate. Once they enter the legally employable age they are taught skills which help them to get placements in formal sector jobs. More importantly, the N Star Centres provide a platform to the girls where they can network and team up to tackle any real-life challenge.
To date, over 8,500 individuals and corporates have donated to Project Nanhi Kali, enabling it to support the education of over 350,000 underprivileged girls across ten states of India. At present, the project supports the education of 150,000 underprivileged girls pan India. Its significant impact has included curtailing the girl drop-out rate to less than 10 percent and a 10-20 percent increase in learning outcomes across all project areas.
- 3,50,000 underprivileged girls educated since inception
- 15,000 girls have completed Grade 10 and have gone on to pursue higher education and careers.
- Over 100,000 girls from Grade 1 to 10 being supported year on year since 2014.
- Currently supporting the education of 150,000 Nanhi Kalis across 5,125 Academic Support Centres through a cadre of 4200 trained Nanhi Kali tutors
- Project Locations: In 10 states – Andhra Pradesh, Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Punjab, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal (earlier worked in Karnataka, Chhattisgarh, and Rajasthan)
- Digital tablets provided to 49,000 girls at secondary school level (3 girls share 1 tablet).
- Noteworthy outcomes of the project include reduced dropout amongst girls which is less than 10% in our project areas, improved learning outcomes year on year and increased attendance.
64N Star Centres (50-150 girls in every center) across 5 cities – Hyderabad, Mumbai, Vizag, Chakan & Gurgaon.
Project Nanhi Kali continues to provide educational support to over 100,000 underprivileged girls year on year. With an objective of reaching out to ‘girls on the margins’ the project is being replicated in remote, rural communities where the situation of girls education dismal e.g. The project is being extended to a new district in Uttar Pradesh called Shravasti (near the Indo – Nepal border) which is infamous for child marriage and human trafficking.